Friday, November 14, 2008

SUCCESS!!!

Well just to give you all an update about my last post.. I think my prayers have been answered! Last Sunday was a SUCCESS! I gave the lesson last week on being reverent and being respectful that I found in the YM's lesson and a few aricles that I read that Heather recommened.. So, it all started with all the YW waiting outside the door. I told them to get all of their wiggles out and if they needed to announce something to say it now or wait until after class.. So they talked for at least 15 minutes and told them ok it's time to start so before they went into the classroom I told them to be silent and listen.. Right when they walked in they were totally quiet because I had Paul Cardall CD in (Great pianist by the way). I had them listen to it for awhile and just jumped right into the lesson. They all listened and participated. I was very blunt with a few things like them being disrespectful at my house at last weeks activity. I think they all felt a little guilty, as I looked at each of them their eyes were shifting and didn't look up at me. It was pretty funny, even though my intention wasn't to make them feel guilty I just wanted them to think of what they do around others. I told them I was not mad I was just disappointed and I think I got the point accross to them that basically there is a time for fun and a time to listen and be respectful, and they need to think about the other persons feelings. I was happy with the way that they took the lesson and didn't fight back. I know that they took it to heart.One of the girls actually told me as we were driving to the activity last Tuesday that she is starting to be more respectful to her younger sister. YAY! But I realized after my lesson that I just need to give them tough love at times even though it is hard for me to do, because sometimes when I try to do that I can say the wrong thing. I felt so blessed after my lesson. I totally felt the spirit telling me what to say and how to approach it. I know that my prayers have been answered about this and I know there will be struggles here and there but I just have to learn from them and just know that I am called to serve these girls. And thank you all for your input on this! I appreciate it.

8 comments:

Katie Webb said...

Yay for you! Good job! You are so brave to have been so straightforward with them. Thank you for sharing!

Melissa said...

I'm glad to hear that everything is in the up and up. What a great idea to change gears to your lesson!

We have a problem with our class, Chris and I teach the 4 and 5 year olds (slightly different from YW). The first few minutes of class I have them jump around and we do simon says which usually helps.

Maybe every once in a while, you should do an activity that's totally off the wall and crazy, something that would really cater to their wiggles and giggles. Maybe (I know this might sound like a kid thing) you could do dress ups and have them take photos of their outfits. Have them go totally nuts.

Good luck!!

Michelle Glauser said...

Yay! I hope it lasts!

Ma Heather and Pa Craig said...

That's so great to hear that your lesson went well. I got teary eyed when you said that you played Paul's music. His music really invites the spirit and I am so glad that you thought to play it because you can truly feel his testimony and the spirit, what a great way to start a lesson. Paul was actually pushed up on the transplant list so we're pretty excited about that. I'm glad things are going well! Have a great week. I'll call you some time so we can hang out and you can come see our house. See ya.

Amy said...

Wow Ronda! I thought it was so funny when I read your earlier post because I was the MOST disrespectful yw when I was a beehive! I learned my lesson during my later years (i think) and it's so good that you were able to be blunt about it. It's the only way to do it. I bet you're the best leader!

Katie said...

Good Job!! I knew you could do it!

The Calls said...

Good Job. It is always a relief when a lesson goes well and prayers are answered!

Ma Heather and Pa Craig said...

Thanks for your comment. Yeah, we definately need to have you over. Friday and Saturday this week are actually pretty busy (sleep over at my grandma's and a wedding). Maybe we can plan for next week. I'll call you! Have a great week.